Ways to install SYNC3 updates
Add the latest SYNC® 3 software capabilities and performance enhancements to your Ford.
This latest version of SYNC 3 enables you to access Alexa skills on your in-car display, provides access to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for even more Ford owners, plus overall performance improvements. Learn what’s included in this SYNC update.
If your vehicle is equipped with SYNC 3 with navigation, you can install updates via Wi-Fi. To install via Wi-Fi, the first thing you’ll need to do is make sure this SYNC 3 updates via Wi-Fi article is right for you. You’ll know if the Wi-Fi button is available on your vehicle’s settings screen, as pictured above. Don’t have navigation? Look here for instructions on how to update SYNC 3 without Navigation via a USB drive.
Having connectivity issues? Owners of vehicles with navigation can also update via USB. Learn how to update via USB here.
Update SYNC 3 via Wi-Fi
- Turn on the SYNC 3 system
If this is the first time you’ve turned on SYNC 3, or you’ve recently performed a master reset, you may be prompted to enable automatic updates.
- Connect to a trusted Wi-Fi network by going into Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Select your network and enter your password.
- Once connected, go back to the Settings screen and select the “General” button.
- On the General Settings screen, tap the “Automatic System Updates” bar.
- Tap the “Automatic System Updates” slider to turn them on.
- A confirmation message will then appear: “Automatic System Updates: On.” Press Close.