What to do When Engine Problems Arise
The 2017 Ford Escape is a popular compact SUV known for its versatility and reliability. However, some owners have reported a concerning issue: the engine unexpectedly shuts down while driving. This problem can be frustrating and dangerous, occurring at any speed and without warning. In this article, we will delve into the causes of this issue and explore potential solutions.
One possible cause of the engine shutdown is a faulty electronic throttle body (ETB). The ETB controls the airflow into the engine and can malfunction, leading to a loss of power and engine shutdown. Another potential culprit is a defective fuel pump driver module (FPDM), which can cause intermittent power loss and engine stalling.
If you are experiencing this issue, it is crucial to take it seriously and address it promptly. Here are some steps you can take:
- Contact your local Ford dealership: Inform them about the problem you are facing and inquire if any recalls or technical service bulletins are related to the issue. They might be able to provide guidance or schedule an inspection.
- Consider a software update: Ford has released software updates to address the engine shutdown problem in some cases. These updates can recalibrate the engine control module (ECM) and mitigate the issue. Consult with your dealership to determine if this solution applies to your vehicle.
- Inspect and replace faulty components: If the problem persists, replacing the electronic throttle body or fuel pump driver module might be necessary. These parts can be diagnosed and replaced by a qualified technician.
2017 Ford Escape Engine Shutdown
Prevention is always better than a cure, so here are a few tips to reduce the likelihood of experiencing an engine shutdown:
- Regular maintenance: Adhere to the recommended maintenance schedule provided by Ford, including regular oil changes, air filter replacements, and inspections of critical components.
- Stay informed: Monitor any recalls or technical service bulletins related to your vehicle. Staying informed about potential issues can help you address them proactively.
- Drive safely: Be attentive while driving and follow all traffic rules. Maintaining a safe driving environment reduces the risk of accidents caused by sudden engine shutdowns.
Stay Informed and Drive Safely
The 2017 Ford Escape engine shutting down is a serious concern that requires immediate attention. Identifying the root cause, such as a faulty electronic throttle body or fuel pump driver module, and taking appropriate measures is crucial for the safety and reliability of your vehicle. If you face this problem, contact your local Ford dealership and explore potential solutions. Remember to stay informed, drive safely, and address any maintenance issues promptly to ensure a smooth and enjoyable ownership experience with your Ford Escape.